Miss Amanda started taking dance lessons at the age of three because she was shy, and her mother thought it would be a good way to encourage her to come out of her shell. Over the years, her training has included Ballet, Pointe, Jazz, Tap, Modern, Theatre, Yoga and Pilates. She knew from an early age that she wanted to one day own a dance studio, and was often known to be doodling logos or studio layouts. Amanda is a successful dance educator and businesswoman, and has been teaching dance for more than 20 years. She truly enjoys working with children and is dedicated to inspiring dancers. She teaches them life skills such as perseverance and team work, while increasing their confidence and setting realistic/achievable goals.
Amanda graduated from York University in Toronto, Ontario, Canada with an Honours Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance. Her studies there included technique classes in Limon and Graham based modern dance classes, and RAD based Ballet classes. She also studied Anatomy Training for Dance Injury Prevention and Care, Pedagogical training, and training in the history of classical, modern and ethnic dance.
Amanda was a member of Pegasus Players Dance Theatre Group, which toured England in 1992, performing and conducting workshops for children. They also performed at Prudhommes Wet and Wild, the Grape and Wine Festival, the Grimsby Santa Claus Parade and many other local festivals.
In January 2004, Amanda founded Not Just Another Dance Studio where she creates a positive and safe environment that encourages creativity, and personal growth for all of her dancers. NJADS’s first dance recital was held at Ryerson United Church in Ancaster on June 26, 2004. Since then she has grown the studio to include two locations, in Hamilton and Ancaster.
Amanda believes that continuing education is important for all educators and as part of her lifelong learning is constantly taking training and workshops to improve her skills as a Dance Instructor and mentor.
- 2018 High Five Certified for Principles of Healthy Child Development Training.
- 2019 was certified as an Instructor in PBT (Progressing Ballet Technique) and became a member of Healthy Dancer Canada (The Dance Health Alliance of Canada).
- 2020 earned her Pre-School AcroDance Certification through Acrobatic Arts, was certified in Alixa Flexibility Module 1 training and became a member of Dance Safe Ontario.
- 2021 certified in Alixa Flexibility Module 2 training and became a member of the Hamilton Arts Council.
- 2022 certified as an Acrobatic Arts Instructor module 1, completed Safer Spaces 2S-LGBTQ+ Inclusion module and completed a webinar through RAD Canada on Stress Management and Performance Anxiety.